The Friends of the J. Paul Leonard Library is a nonprofit affiliate of the University organized to promote community support for the J. Paul Leonard Library. Since the organization's beginning in 1980, the Friends have raised funds to support the library's acquisitions and programs.
Join or renew your membership for a minimum annual donation of $30! See below for details and options.
To find current hours for the Friends of the Library Used Book & Media Store, scroll down to Other Services on the Library hours page.
Activities of the Friends of the J. Paul Leonard Library
The Friends organization:
- Raises funds
- Helps to build the library’s collections
- Contributes to the library’s programs, services, and technology
- Sponsors special events
- Promotes the love of books
How to Join or Renew
For a $30 donation, you will receive an annual membership.
- Use the University's donation system to pay for your renewal or new membership online.
- Please print and complete a membership application and bring the application with government ID to the Book Pickup & Checkout counter. The counter personnel will barcode your membership card and register you as a member.
Join in person
- Either visit the Friends’ Office on the first floor, LIB 120A, Monday through Thursday, 11 a.m. - 5 p.m., or Friday, 11 a.m. - 3 p.m. (telephone: 415-338-6262) —
- Or sign up at the Book Checkout & Pickup Counter, also on the first floor (money orders or personal checks only).
Join by mail
- Print the membership application (requires Acrobat Reader and access to a printer) and fill it out.
- Make out a money order or check to SF State/ Friends of Leonard Library.
- Mail the completed application and payment to:
Friends of the J. Paul Leonard Library
San Francisco State University
1630 Holloway Avenue
San Francisco, CA 94132
Members enjoy access to newspapers, reference materials, special collections, and collections of compact discs, videotapes, videodiscs, and musical scores, as well as the library's regular collection of books and journals.
- Borrowing privileges at the J. Paul Leonard Library: no more than 20 books on your card at any one time. Books may be checked out for 30 days, with one renewal.
Some restrictions apply:
- Friends have access to most services, except interlibrary loans, holds on materials, course reserve materials, and off-campus access to databases and electronic journals.
- During periods of high demand for specialized services, current SF State students and faculty have priority.
- Friends, like other Library users, are responsible for any late, lost, or damaged material fees that accrue as a result of access to library services.
For additional information, please call (415) 338-6262 or contact the Friends by email: email@example.com.
Used Book & Media Store
The Friends Used Book & Media Store is located in LIB 120A on the first floor. The Friends Sale Room offers used books, recordings, art prints, DVDs, etc. A few books are superseded volumes or castoffs from the Library, but most are donated by friends and colleagues. During fall and spring semesters, the booksale room is staffed by volunteers Monday through Thursday, 11 a.m. - 5 p.m., and Friday, 11 a.m. - 3 p.m. (see Library hours).
Donations of books, records, DVDs, and CDs are welcomed and may be tax deductible. Please call (415) 338-6262 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to arrange a donation pickup. You may also arrange in advance to bring your donation to the Library's loading dock. A volunteer will be at the door to receive your donation.
Volunteer for FOL
The Friends welcome new volunteers. Drop by the Used Book & Media Store to pick up an application.
The Friends of the J. Paul Leonard Library sponsor special lectures, exhibits, and fundraising events from time to time. Like us on Facebook!
Fundraising and Donations
The Friends solicit funds for Library services, programs, and acquisitions that are not normally included in the Library’s budget. Funds are raised by pursuing gifts and donations and by operating the Used Book and Media Store in LIB 120A.
In addition to your Friends membership (a minimum of $30 annually), please consider increasing your support to help ensure that the Library is operating at maximum capacity to serve our community. If you wish, you can make a gift online. For more information about planned giving, please visit the Office of University Development Planned Giving page or contact SF State’s Director of Planned Giving at (415) 338-7460.
Promoting the Use of Libraries and the Love of Books
The Friends promote:
- Use of libraries
- Love of books
- Book reading
- Book collecting
- Use of non-book materials
Watch for announcements of special events in the Friends’ Facebook page
Honoring and Memorializing Members of the Community
The Friends provide opportunities for honoring or memorializing members of the SF State community through the purchase of books and other library materials. The donor or honoree may be recognized by book plates or other inscriptions. Contact the Communications Director at email@example.com for more information.
Projects funded by the Friends
- The Friends of the Library Faculty/Graduate Reading Room
- Acquiring books not covered by regular funds
- Start-up funding for collections for new academic programs
- Establishment of the TV News Archives
- Acquiring videotapes in art and dance
- CD-ROM workstations
- Development opportunities for our Library staff
- New tables and chairs in study areas
- De Bellis Collection
- Robert E. Collins Endowed Scholarships for student employees of the Library
- Book giveaway program for young students enrolled in the Gator Summer Camp
Robert E. Collins Endowed Scholarships
Up to five scholarships of $2,000 each are awarded each fall to San Francisco State University students who work at J. Paul Leonard Library or volunteer with the Friends of the Library. The application is available each spring in AcademicWorks. More details about selection criteria are forthcoming.
Congratulations to the 2022-23 scholarship recipients!
- Ava Austin
- Rachelle Pineda
- Taylor Stone
- Demille Taylor