Friends of the Library (FOL)
The Friends of the J. Paul Leonard Library (FOL) is a nonprofit affiliate of the University organized to promote community support for the J. Paul Leonard Library. Since its beginning in 1980, the Friends have raised funds to support the library's acquisitions and programs.
Activities of the Friends of the J. Paul Leonard Library
The Friends organization:
- Raises funds
- Helps to build the library’s collections
- Contributes to the library’s programs, services, and technology
- Sponsors special events
- Promotes the love of books
How to join – options:
For a $30 donation, you will receive an annual membership.
Once you select Join/Renew, you can pay online to renew or join to receive your membership.
Please print and complete a membership application, then bring application with government ID to the Book Checkout Counter. The counter personnel will barcode your membership card and register you as a member.
- In person at the Friends’ Office, Lib 120A, on the 1st Floor, Mon - Thu, 11am - 5pm, Fri 11am - 3pm. Telephone: 415-338-6262. Or at the Book Checkout & Pickup Counter, also on the 1st Floor. Money orders or personal checks only.
By mail: Send the completed membership application and a money order or check made out to: SF State/ Friends of Leonard Library. Mail to:
Friends of the J. Paul Leonard Library
San Francisco State University
1630 Holloway Avenue
San Francisco, CA 94132
- OR print the application, fill it out, bring it or mail it to the Friends’ Office (form requires Acrobat Reader and access to a printer).
Members enjoy access to newspapers, reference materials, special collections, collections of compact discs, videotapes, videodiscs, musical scores, as well as the library's regular collection of books and journals.
- Borrowing privileges at the J. Paul Leonard Library: no more than 20 books on your card at any one time. Books may be checked out for 30 days, with one renewal.
- Use of online and CD-ROM databases on campus.
- Use of "guest computers" [two hour per day] in the Research Commons.
*Some restrictions apply: Friends have access to most services except interlibrary loans, holds on materials, Reserve materials, and off-campus access to Library databases and electronic journals. During periods of high demand for specialized services, current SF State students/faculty have priority. Friends, like other library users, are responsible for any late, lost, or damaged material fees that accrue as a result of access to library services.
For additional information, please call 415-338-6262 or contact the Friends by email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Used Book and Media Store
The Friends Used Book and Media Store is located in LIB 120A, on the 1st Floor. The Friends Sale Room offers used books, recordings, art prints, dvds, etc. A few books are superseded volumes or cast-offs from the Library, but most are donated by friends and colleagues. During Fall and Spring semesters, the Booksale Room is staffed by volunteers Monday through Thursday 11am - 5pm and Friday 11am - 3pm.
Donations of books, records, dvds, and CDs are welcomed and may be tax deductible. Please call 415-338-6262 or email email@example.com to arrange a donation pickup. You may also arrange (in advance) to bring your donation to the Library's loading dock. A volunteer will be at the door to receive your donation.
Volunteer for FOL:
The Friends welcome new volunteers. Drop by the Used Book and Media Store to pick up an application.
Fundraising and Donations
The Friends solicit funds for Library services, programs, and acquisitions that are not normally included in the Library’s budget. Funds are raised by pursuing gifts and donations and by operating the Used Book and Media Store in Lib 120A. In addition to your Friends membership (min. $30 annually), please consider increasing your support to help ensure that the Library is operating at maximum capacity to serve our community. To make a gift online, click Join or Renew. For more information about planned giving please visit the Office of University Development Planned Giving page or contact SF State’s Director of Planned Giving at (415) 338-7460.
Promoting the Use of Libraries and the Love of Books
The Friends promote:
- Use of libraries
- Love of books
- Book reading
- Book collecting
- Use of non-book materials
Watch for announcements of special events in the Friends’ Facebook page
Honoring and Memorializing Members of the Community
The Friends provide opportunities for honoring or memorializing members of the SF State community through the purchase of books and other library materials. The donor or honoree may be recognized by book plates or other inscriptions. Contact the Communications Director at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Projects funded by the Friends:
- The Friends of the Library Faculty/Graduate Reading Room
- Acquiring books not covered by regular funds
- Start-up funding for collections for new academic programs
- Establishment of the TV News Archives
- Acquiring videotapes in art and dance
- CD-ROM workstations
- Development opportunities for our Library staff
- New tables and chairs in study areas
- De Bellis Collection
- Robert E. Collins Memorial Scholorships for student library emplyees
- Book giveaway program for young students enrolled in the Gator Summer Camp