July 29, 2016-May 31, 2017
Willie L. Brown, Jr. Hall, 4th Floor, Library Exhibit Cases
Blanche Wilson Ellsworth (1902-1997) was a professor of English at San Francisco State from 1926 to 1966. President Archibald Anderson appointed her to the English Department in 1926, where she taught half of the courses and earned $1,800.00 per year. At the time of her retirement, Ellsworth had served the longest tenure and shaped the visual identity of the campus for a period of forty years.
Ellsworth produced booklets for all of the College departments. Her work expanded so much...
February 16 – May 31, 2017
Special Collections Gallery & Sutro Library Reading Room
Extra-Illustration: From Marginalia to Scrapbooks highlights alternative uses for books by individuals interested in the interactive practice of extra-illustration. Colloquially referred to as “Grangerizing”—named for the British publisher, James Granger, who promoted the activity in the late 18th-century—examples of visually and textually altered publications can be found among the earliest manuscripts, printed texts, and scrapbook collections in prominent libraries, archives, and museums...
4th Floor, Library Exhibit Cases
Graphic artist Jos Sances and educator Bill Morgan created this wonderful series of drawings and biographies as a basic introduction to the labor movement in the United States. The panels are based on a larger set of “labor hero” trading cards, a selection of which are displayed in each case. Sances and Morgan chose working class leaders who were activists in unions as well as other justice movements in order to illustrate the strong connection between labor and progressive social change....
January 31- February 11, 2017
J. Paul Leonard Library, Room 460
The Frank V. de Bellis Collection in collaboration the Italian General Consulate in San Francisco and the Italian Cultural Institute present a mini-exhibit of Tallone fine print books typeset by hand and letterpress-printed.
Alberto Tallone (1898-1968) first established his publishing house in Paris in 1938 taking over an extant working 18th-century original typographic studio with a vast endowment of original foundry types and amplified output by developing a distinctive...
- 1 of 3
- next ›