Last week, there was an incident in Annex 1 where a patron became antagonistic towards Library employees. He assumed the VTS machines would provide change from large bills. The VTS machines do not provide change.
PLEASE NOTE: New signs have been posted on the VTS machines stating:
“Attention: Change for bills is unavailable from these machines. All refunds need to be handled from the OneCard Office – Student Services building. The Library can provide the form to request a refund, but we do not provide or approve a refund.”
The patron’s behavior at the desk, however, was unacceptable. If confronted by an angry patron, remember to:
- Remain Calm.
- Make your co-workers at the desk, including librarians and staff, aware of what is happening. They may be busy helping other patrons and unaware of the situation.
- Get a Library “Community Service Officer” (Jeff O’Connor and his crew- Brenda, Adam, Sal, Rachel, etc.)
- If they’re unavailable, call 911. The 911 call goes directly to the “University Police” and they will handle the situation immediately.
- If you need to call 911, informing the patron that you’re calling “University Police” may exacerbate the situation. Consider informing the patron (in a non-threatening way) that you’re calling someone who can help with his/ her concerns.
- If you feel threatened, leave Annex 1 and get assistance in Annex 2.
The major point is your personal safety. Do not hesitate to call 911.