Friends of the Library (FOL)
minimum annual donation $50 which includes a Friends membership
(see below for details and options)
The Friends of the J. Paul Leonard Library (FOL) is a nonprofit affiliate of the university organized to promote community support for the campus Library. Since its beginning in 1980, the Friends have raised funds to sustain quality in the Library and to bring added excellence to Library events, services and collections.
Activities of the Friends of the J. Paul Leonard Library
The Friends organization:
- Raises funds
- Facilitates memorials
- Helps to build the Library's collections
- Contributes to the Library's programs, services and technology
- Sponsors special events
- Promotes the love of books
How to join – options:
- In person at the Friends' Office, Lib 120A, Mon - Th, 11am - 4:45pm, Fri 11am - 3pm. Telephone: (415) 338-2408. Or at the Book Checkout & Pickup Counter. See Library hours. Money orders or personal checks only.
- By mail: Send the completed application form and a money order or check made out to: SF State/ Friends of Leonard Library. Mail to:
Friends of the J. Paul Leonard Library
San Francisco State University
1630 Holloway Avenue
San Francisco, CA 94132
- (You may fill out the application form online, print it out then bring or mail it to the Friends' Office; form requires Acrobat Reader and access to a printer).
Membership Privileges & Categories
The following levels of contributions are available. (The fees and conditions are subject to budget constraints and/or changes in library policy.) All levels enjoy access to newspapers, reference materials, special collections, collections of compact discs, videotapes, videodiscs, musical scores, and parts.
- One year's borrowing privileges* at the J. Paul Leonard Library: no more than 20 books on your card at any one time; 2 renewals per title.
- Use of online and CD-ROM databases on campus.
Effective May 1, 2013
|Regular||$50 annually||Loan of 20 books for 28 days with 2 renewals.|
or FOL volunteer]
|Same as Regular member.|
|Sustaining||$100 annually||Same as Regular member + use of "guest" computers [2 hours per day] or laptops [4 hours per day] in any area of the Library open to non-SF State users. Ability to register for guest WiFi access
each semester (fall, spring, summer)
in 5 installments
|Same as Regular member + Sustaining members' privileges for an additional annual fee of $50; or Contributing members' privileges for an additional annual fee of $200|
*Some restrictions apply: Friends have access to most services except interlibrary loans, holds on materials, Reserve materials and off-campus access to Library databases and electronic journals. During periods of high demand for specialized services, current SFSU students/faculty have priority. Friends, like other library users, are responsible for any late, lost or damaged material fees that accrue as a result of access to library services.
For additional information, please call (415) 338-2408 or contact the Friends by email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Friends Booksale Room, is located in Lib 120A. The Friends Booksale Room sells used books, recordings, art prints, etc. A few books are superseded volumes or cast-offs from the Library, but most are donated by friends and colleagues. During Fall and Spring semesters, the Booksale Room is staffed by volunteers Monday through Thursday 11am - 4:45pm and Friday 11am - 3pm.
Donations of books are welcomed and may be tax deductible. You may walk in withh your donation to Lib 120A during Booksale Hours. You may arrange (in advance) to bring boxes of books to the Library's loading dock. A volunteer will be at the door to receive books. Or, you may arrange a pick-up of your donation by calling 338-2408 or by email email@example.com.
Volunteer for FOL:
Fundraising and Donations
The Friends solicit funds for Library services, programs, and acquisitions that are not normally included in the Library's budget and are actively fundraising in support of the Library Building Campaign. Funds are raised by pursuing gifts, donations, andgrants – including planned and estate gifts – and by operating a Booksale Room in Lib 120A. In addition to your Friends membership (min. $50 annually), please consider increasing your support to help ensure that the Library is operating at it maximum capacity to serve our community. Make a gift online by clicking here. For more information about planned giving please click on the following link http://sfsu.giftlegacy.com/ or contact SF State’s planned giving director at 415-338-7460.
Promoting the Use of Libraries and the Love of Books
The Friends promote:
- Use of libraries
- Love of books
- Book reading
- Book collecting
- Use of non-book materials
Watch for announcements of special events in the Friends' Facebook page
Honoring and Memorializing Members of the Community
The Friends provide opportunities for honoring or memorializing members of the SFSU community through the purchase of books and other library materials. The donor or honoree may be recognized by book plates or other inscriptions. Contact the office manager for more information.
Projects funded by the Friends:
- The Friends of the Library Faculty/Graduate Reading Room
- Acquiring books not covered by regular funds
- Start-up funding for collections for new academic programs
- Establishment of the TV News Archives
- Acquiring videotapes in art and dance
- CD-ROM workstations
- Development opportunities for our Library staff
- New tables and chairs in study areas
- De Bellis Collection